AWARD ASSESSMENT PERCEPTION
The European Continental University’s Board of Examiners and Assessors UK-Commission for Consistent Learning (UK-CCL) have set out their own examination and assessment procedures as they offer Work Based Professional Knowledge Degree Qualifications merely to the matured licensed working individuals, therefore they do not insist on the orthodox methods of a three hour, restricted class room environment examination. But as an Open Book Professional Knowledge University, the awards of European Continental University (ECU) is incorporated in the candidate’s work speciality as the major to indicate their area of knowledge. This is the uniqueness of ECU’s award.
ECU gives prominence to the practical norm of an Open Book Notion of Written Assignment, Power Point Presentation and One to One Verbal (Oral) Examinations to ascertain the recipient of the award. ECU’s vital awarding policy is to gain qualifications rather than to be awarded. ECU awards are conferred upon licensed working individuals who can demonstrate their eligibility by confirming their Prior Learning and Experiences and the Knowledge of their area of working. Those candidates who do not meet the awarding Professional Quality Management Standards (PQMS) will be encouraged to attend Continuous Professional Development (CPD) workshops and Seminars to earn the necessary credits for the required level of award.
Since 2010, as a mandatory requirement, all the APEL and ACPD applicants must submit a Power Point Presentation on a soft copy format along with Reflective Work Experience Accomplishment Assignment prior to their final oral examination in order to be considered for the appropriate ECU Professional Knowledge Awards. Viva Examination is known as the university’s examination in which the candidate answers the questions in speech rather than a written examination. This examination method is to ascertain and demine the candidate’s eligibility for the ECU’s highly regarded Professional Knowledge Qualifications.
REFLECTIVE WORK ASSIGNMENT
The ECU awards are considered and conferred under the criteria of Professional Knowledge Work Orientated Qualification. Therefore, this has made it compulsory to submit a Reflective Work Experience Accomplishment Assignment on their career experiences. Therefore, the assignment must contain more than ten thousand words. As this statement is very important for the examination of the candidate suitability and will assist the assessors in verifying their ability and their skills. This statement must include a full description of the candidate’s past and present work responsibilities, full personal information, academic and professional achievements and supporting copies of documents which will give further credits to the said professional knowledge award. The Reflective Work Experience Accomplishment Assignment (RWEAA) must contain more than ten thousand words in explaining in details the knowledge and expertise that he/she has gained during their working life. This information is appreciable by the assessment panel to evaluate the applicant to a professional high quality standard and offering the deserved Professional Knowledge Qualification.
The award of ECU being Professional Knowledge Qualification becomes conversant with the work based concept; therefore for every candidate it is compulsory to submit a Reflective Work Assignment of their career experiences. As this report is very important for the examination of the candidate suitability and will assist the assessors in verifying their ability of their skills. This Reflective Report must contain a full description of the candidate’s past and present work responsibilities, full personal information, academic and professional achievements and supporting copies of documents which will give further credit points to the said professional award. The candidates are asked to give a full detailed Reflective Report and it must contain more than five thousand words.
DOCUMENTATION AND PROCEDURES
1) The candidate must have submitted detailed curriculum vitae on an assignment format on a soft copy to confirm their academic and professional qualification achievements along with a full description of the skills in their previous jobs.
2) For the enrolment, the applicant must be a matured candidate over twenty four years of age with minimum of two years of work experience in any level.
3) Certified endorsed copies of all credentials to confirm the past and current achievements.
4) Three Passport size Colour Photographs.
5) Certified Photo copies of a Passport or Local Identity Card to confirm the personal identification and date of Birth.
6) Fully completed ECU application with the appropriate Non Refundable Initial Administrative Fee to the International Coordinating Centre.
7) Two character references from reputable Independent Executive Professionals.
8) The candidate must confirm, by a declaration that all the information provided is true to the best of his/her knowledge and it is not forged in any way.
9) Must be available in person or through video conference for the Preliminary Oral Admission Interview before enrolment.
10) APEL and ACPD applicants have to submit a Power Point Presentation on a soft copy format for prior review to consider the applicant for the award of ECU.
11) One reference from the current employer to confirm the past achievement and current status of employment.
12) All candidate who are seeking for the Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) have to submit a minimum of Twenty Thousand Words Synopsis as their dissertation giving full description of their personal attainment in their past and present employment or business achievements. By way of indicating their speciality and expertise which to be considered as their Major Topic of Professional Knowledge Award.
13) Any candidate wishes to obtain a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) must hold a reputable Master Degree with minimum of ten years work experience and must submit a Dissertation/ Thesis not less than sixty thousands words. Their research has to be reflected to their past and current employment related, due to the fact that, ECU grants their award on Work Based Processional Knowledge Qualification.Any candidate wishes to obtain a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) must hold a reputable Master Degree with minimum of ten years work experience and must submit a Dissertation/ Thesis not less than sixty thousands words. Their research has to be reflected to their past and current employment related, due to the fact that, ECU grants their award on Work Based Processional Knowledge Qualification.
It is mandatory for every candidate who is seeking the ECU Professional Knowledge Award, to face, without fail, a minimum of three verbal examinations in order to gain the notable Professional Knowledge Qualifications. As the Viva Examination is known as the university examination in which the candidate answer the questions in speech rather than a written examination.The assessment board wish to verify the ability of the candidate by way of requesting them to participate in a verbal examination (which shall normally be of not less than one hour but can go up to duration of three hours). This will take place usually on a one to one basis or a telephone or video conference.
If it takes place in person, the candidate may be required to meet the costs of the examination. The verbal examination is compulsory to verify the professional knowledge and expertise of the person before conferring the Professional Knowledge Qualification. It is made very clear to every individual who are seeking for ECU qualification will have to undergo an examination procedure in order to bestow the qualification by the Executive Board of Governors of ECU. This why, the ECU considers the Verbal Examination as a very important procedure for all their awards.
POWER POINT PRESENTATION
Since September 2010, the Assessment Committee has made a Power Point Presentation as a mandatory requirement, due to the fact of an annual review carried out by External Assessors, UK-Commission for Consistent Learning (UK-CCL) who is known as the Assessor and Verifier for Professional Knowledge Qualification.This was carried out on the request of Executive Board of Governors of ECU to keep up their awards with the International Professional Quality Management Standards.As UK-CCL have their own criteria for their certification of Professional Quality Management Standards (PQMS 5001:2005), ECU obtain the assistance of UK-CCL. On the recommendation of UK-CCL, the candidate is asked to prepare the Power Point Presentation to explain of his/her expertise in hands on experience and to understand their ability, which will help the assessing panel to come to a conclusion of the major of the award. This presentation must comprise of the mission, vision and objective along with the skill of their job responsibilities. There must be over twenty slides in the presentation and the minimum presentation time must be not less than forty five minutes.
ACCOUNTABILITY OF CANDIDATE
The candidate must ensure that the documentation submitted must be in accordance with the procedures established by the Executive Board of Governors of ECU’s Professional Quality Management Standards (PQMS). Every candidate must communicate through their respective advisors to meet the guidelines of the university in relation to the submission of documentations.The submission of the documentation shall be at the sole discretion of the candidate concerned, as it will reflect on the examination and assessments to gain the appropriate credits units. The candidate must have no formal contact with the Assessors and Verifiers whilst the assessment is in progress.
The Reflective Accomplishment Assignment (RAA) along with other documents must be bounded in a proper manner when submitting to the International Coordinating Centre and no loose documents will be entertained. On the same token, a Professional Academic Panel along with the Assessment Board of the University make it compulsory from September 2010 all candidates must submit the Reflective Accomplishment Assignment on a soft copy format as well, which could be added to the reference library of the university.The candidate must ensure that one set of documentations is bound and formatted in accordance with university requirements; failure to comply will lead to rejection of the award. The appeals procedure will not consider cases of rejection on the basis of failure to comply a submission of documentation with the required standards specified by the university.
If a candidate does not meet the Professional Quality Assessment and Verification Standard stipulated by ECU Awarding Panel to earn the required credits for the appropriate Professional Knowledge Award, he/she will be asked to submit a Project Report or attend further Workshops/Seminars on the topics proposed by the university Assessing Board.
All candidates must ensure that proper supporting documentations are submitted along with full payment and cleared prior to the final Viva Examination. If a candidate has been agreed for instalment payments, it must be honoured on the said dates without fail. If a candidate fails to meet the said instalments on the correct dates, there will be additional administration along with bank charges that have to be met by the candidate. Without clearing any outstanding issues, the candidate will not be permitted for the final oral examination, which is the determination of the ECU’s Professional Knowledge Award. In order to gain the ECU qualifications, it is a mandatory requirement for all candidates to attend the Viva Examinations to earn the ECU Knowledge Degree Qualification.